I’ve decided to start releasing bits and pieces of source code just for fun. The first one is the Vector Field demo I wrote ages ago.
It’s easy to change the size, colour and ‘splat’ graphics. This is totally free for non-commercial use, but I kindly ask that you contact me if you wish to use it for something commercial.
Part of the reason I’m posting this is because it has a bug which I can’t figure out how to fix. To explain what the bug is I need to explain how this works. So here goes.
At some point last year I wanted to create a fluid / liquid simulation and had been looking at Vector Fields and their use in fluid simulations. These work by having a huge matrix of vectors, the direction of which are controlled by the fluid algorithm. Here’s a very simple example:
Each vector in the field has two components, one for the horizontal movement x, and another for the vertical movement y. A 3d field would have a third component, z.
Particles or colour or whatever is required to turn this into a visualisation are moved around according to the vector field. If there is a particle on top of the vector shown above then it will move 0.5 units along x and 0.45 along y. If a force is applied to disturb the liquid then some of the vectors would correspondingly increase in magnitude. Scale this up to a larger system and you have the basics of a fluid simulation.
This is an enormous amount of computation, and even for a tiny area of 100×100 pixels you’d need 10,000 vectors. This seemed totally beyond the scope of Flash 8 which is still sluggish in math performance compared to Flash 9 or Java.
Then I started playing around with DisplacementMaps. I’d seen various demo’s of the 3d spinning globe variety and was intrigued as to how it was done, particularly as the displacement map never looked, on the surface at least, to have much bearing on what actually happens.
Thankfully it’s all much simpler than the Flash documentation led me to believe. Displacement maps have two channels – one controlling horizontal movement and the other controlling vertical movement. This was starting to sound familiar:
Hallelujah! A DisplacementMap is effectively a huge array of vectors, and perfect for a fluid simulation. There’s a small amount of math that converts between the component value of each colour channel and the corresponding x or y movement;
I spent ages staring at this line of code, but it’s really easy. Taking the horizontal channel as an example: a value of 128 doesn’t move at all; less than 128 would move left and more than 128 would move right. You specify a scale value when creating the DisplacementMap that controls the magnitude of movement in either direction.
I quickly wrote this demo and was very pleased with the result, especially the nice surprise of the colours mixing together. It’s really simple; there is a displacement map, and a brush like the soft brush in PhotoShop. When you drag with the mouse the code calculates the corresponding colour for that movement and paints onto the displacement map. This causes fluid-like movement:
When you play with the code you will notice that occasionally you get ‘dead pixels’ in the liquid. I find this intensely annoying. I have tried several fixes but have yet to solve it. Here’s what you see:
Grrr. At first I thought it would just be a case of using a threshold call to change all elements with a value of 128,128 (ie. not moving) into something else. But it doesn’t work because the real problem is when you have two pixels next to each other which are pointing in opposing directions, canceling each other out. So I also tried a Gaussian blur, but this has a weird effect where the whole movement shifts off balance and tends towards the bottom-right.
I am out of ideas on this one and am hoping someone else can think of nice a workaround.
All ideas welcome.
I am an experienced Product Designer and Software Engineer with a passion for making and crafting digital products, tools and services that are useful, empowering or inspiring to others.